~ SPICY GRILLED CHICKEN ~
I’m back with a super easy and delicious grilled chicken recipe! Healthy and light, I used store cupboard spices for ease. I ended up smoking the chicken for a super boosted BBQ flavour but it’s equally good as it is straight out of the oven sprinkled with fresh coriander. Try this now! Recipe is below and in my highlights. Enjoy 😘
Serves 2. You will need:
500g chicken, ideally bone-in but use any cut
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
3 tsp ghee/vegetable oil
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp oil for frying
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
1 tsp chilli powder (to taste)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp tandoori masala powder/paste
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp tomato purée
Optional for smoking:
1 quick-light charcoal disc
A3 sized piece of foil, rolled up in to a small bowl shape to hold the coal OR a small heat safe bowl
1 tsp ghee/oil
Large piece foil to fully cover chicken
1. Cut slits in to chicken and sprinkle over spice marinade ingredients as well as yoghurt and lemon juice.
2. Mix thoroughly to coat chicken and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
3. On medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and heat till it’s dancing. Add chicken in even layer (don’t overcrowd) and leave to cook for 3-4 mins till browned. Don’t move the chicken. Flip and do the same on the reverse.
4. Remove chicken to oven safe dish, sprinkle over onions and ghee and bake at 180°C for 30-40 mins till chicken is fully cooked.
5. Once ready, remove and sprinkle with fresh coriander.
6. If smoking, use metal tongs to heat charcoal disc over a naked flame till it starts to glow. Be careful and make sure the room is well ventilated! Place in small bowl and on to a heat proof plate for a few mins till coal turns grey.
7. Place bowl in to centre of chicken dish, pour over ghee and tightly cover immediately with foil.
8. Allow to sit for several mins – the longer it sits the stronger the flavour. Once ready remove the foil and bowl, and serve immediately.