~ SPICY CHICKEN PIE ~
Today I bring you my recipe for this simple but incredibly delicious chicken pastry pie. I served this up to some dinner guests who didn’t stop raving about it. Success! I used pre-rolled pastry for ease and the filling is quick and simple to prepare. It can also be used to fill spring rolls, samosas, baked potatoes, on top of pizzas.. the list is endless! Leave out the chilli and this becomes a yummy treat for children too. Try this, you won’t be disappointed! Recipe is below and in my highlights. Enjoy 🤗
Serves 4-6. You will need:
300g chicken mince (or blitz up your favourite cut in the food processor)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tbspn garlic, chopped
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
2 tspn ginger, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
1 heaped tspn garlic powder
1 heaped tspn onion powder
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn black pepper
1 tbspn coriander, finely chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 tspn tomato puree
Salt, to taste
375g puff pastry, rolled in to a rectangle
2 tbspn milk, for glazing
100g cheese, grated (I used mozzarella)
1. Fry onion in 1 tbspn oil till translucent. Add chilli, ginger and garlic and fry for a couple of mins.
2. Add peppers, salt, turmeric, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Fry for a few mins till veggies soften, making sure nothing sticks to the pan.
3. Add chicken and break up with a wooden spoon so there are no lumps. Add tomato and tomato puree and cook on medium heat till chicken is cooked before stirring through coriander.
4. Roll pastry (I used a pre-rolled sheet), and lay on a baking tray. Keeping a 1cm edge, lightly score a rectangle inside the pastry with a knife, taking care not to cut to the bottom of the tray.
5. Prick the inner rectangle all over with a fork before adding the chicken on top. Make sure no chicken spills on to the border. This should be kept bare.
6. Sprinkle cheese over the chicken, taking care not to get any cheese on the border.
7. Glaze the border by dipping your finger in milk and rubbing it over the blank edges of the pastry.
8. Bake at 180° for 30-40mins till the cheese browns and the pastry is golden. Serve warm.