~ PASTA BOLOGNESE ~
I’m back and I bring you my pasta bolognese by popular demand 🥰 This is such a good, hearty comfort meal that never fails to please. Perfect for kids and adults alike, it’s a dish I make when I’m craving something wholesome and delicious. It makes a great weeknight dinner, but it’s also a great dinner party dish that everyone can dig in to. It’s even diet friendly if you use spray oil and milk instead of cream 💁♀️ Serve with a simple green salad for a complete meal. Recipe is below and in my highlights. Enjoy 🤗
Serves 4-5. You will need:
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tbspn olive oil
1 tbspn garlic, chopped
2 medium carrots, grated
1 tbspn garlic powder/granules
1 tbspn onion powder/granules
1 tbspn dried mixed herbs
1 tbspn tomato purée
1 tbspn Worcestershire sauce
1 tbspn tomato ketchup
2 tspn sugar (optional)
2 tbspn Parmesan/hard cheese, grated
1 tbspn fresh parsley, chopped
1 tspn black pepper
Salt (to taste)
Chilli powder (to taste)
500g minced lamb (beef or chicken works well too)
500g passata/tinned tomatoes
350g pasta of your choice
1.5 cups water
1. Fry onion in oil on medium heat till translucent. Add fresh garlic and fry for 1 minute before adding carrots. Mix.
2. Add garlic and onion powder, dried mixed herbs, salt and pepper and cook for a minute.
3. Next add tomato purée, stir and then drop in the mince. Stir and break up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Fry for 5 mins till meat is browned (stir regularly).
4. Now add passata, Worcestershire sauce and tomato ketchup, stir, cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for 1.5-2 hours. Stir every 15 mins to avoid catching.
5. Half way through add water and continue to simmer. This will help remove the ‘raw’ meat taste.
6. After 1.5 hrs remove the lid and boil off any excess water if the sauce is too thin. Remove the kids portion to mix through pasta later. Add chilli powder and sugar now, and simmer for a further 5 mins.
7. Pour in milk/cream and mix in 1 tbspn Parmesan/hard cheese.
8. Cook pasta al dente, add to the sauce and drop in 1/2 cup of pasta water. Add remaining Parmesan/hard cheese and parsley, and mix till fully combined. Taste and adjust final seasoning.